This is the best and easiest low carb chicken casserole. Ham, swiss, and a creamy sauce with hidden veggies make this the perfect dinner!
I am an habitual dieter.
There, I said it.
I’ve tried everything from Weight Watchers, low carb, low-calorie, Paleo…you name it, I’ve tried it. I have varying degrees of success before I fall of the wagon for one reason or another.
I created this low carb chicken casserole when I was eating a low carb, high fat diet about a year ago. Although I’m no longer following a low carb way of eating, this casserole continues to be the most popular recipe on my site.
Why I transitioned from low carb
Losing weight was easy. I was never hungry. I ate bacon with every meal. Okay, not every meal.
But I knew this wasn’t a diet I could stick with forever. Don’t get me wrong, plenty of people enjoy a low carb way of life and never look back. It just wasn’t realistic for me and I knew I would eventually ease back into a standard diet.
I got the opportunity to ease myself back in when my job started a weight loss program. I was one of 30 employees to take part in a 16 week program which provided a health coach, metabolism testing, personalized calorie ranges for weight loss, and body fat measurements.
On top of it all, the program was free.
Well, free except for my dignity.
You see, they measured my body fat with this machine that looked like an egg-shaped spaceship with a little viewing window. Every two weeks I would go to the spaceship room and change into the tightest spandex shorts and sports bra known to man, pull my hair into a swim cap, and sit inside this egg-ship. I sat there for 60 seconds, just me and my muffin top, while someone measured my body composition and silently judged me for having the muscle mass of an infant.
Yes, it was a very dignified process.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase using my link, I will receive compensation at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products or services I personally use and/or believe will add value to readers.
Low Carb Chicken Casserole
Even though I haven’t followed the low carb way of eating for a while, this low carb chicken casserole is something that I can serve my family anytime. The chicken and ham covered in swiss appeals to all taste buds. And the creamy sauce adds veggies without complaints from the little people who rule my house.
Adapted from Full Fork Ahead
- 5-6 cups shredded chicken (try cooking chicken in the pressure cooker for easy shredding)
- 1/2 pound very thinly sliced deli-style ham, chopped
- 1/4 pound thin sliced baby Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 12 oz steamed cauliflower
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups crushed pork rinds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Steam your cauliflower. I used frozen cauliflower and steamed in the microwave while I worked on the other steps.
Layer cooked shredded chicken on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. I cooked my chicken in the Instant Pot and it shredded with no effort.
Chop the ham and layer it over the top of the chicken.
Layer the Swiss cheese on top of the ham. I used about 10 slices of cheese.
Put your heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, cauliflower, broth, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper into a food processor and puree until creamy. I really like my Ninja food processor for this because it’s so quick! Pour sauce over the casserole.
Top with crushed pork rinds and parsley (I use my Ninja for this too).
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until it starts to get bubbly. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes.
Low carb chicken casserole freezes well too. Follow the steps up until the pork rind topping and cover in a freezer safe casserole dish. When you are ready to bake, uncover and bake for 1 hour or until the center is hot and the edges are bubbly. Add pork rind topping and bake for an extra 5-10 minutes.
In case you wondered, the weight loss program at work ended towards the end of last year–right in time for all the eating holidays. The program creators didn’t think that one through. I took a little hiatus from tracking calories and have been avoiding my calorie tracker ever since.
I think the spandex experience gave me a complex.
- 5-6 cups shredded Pressure Cooker Chicken
- ½ pound very thinly sliced deli-style ham, chopped
- ¼ pound thin sliced baby Swiss cheese
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened (you could substitute this with half cream cheese and half sour cream)
- 12 oz cauliflower
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1½ cups crushed pork rinds
- 1½ teaspoons dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Layer cooked shredded chicken on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Chop the ham and layer it over the top of the chicken.
- Layer the Swiss cheese on top of the ham. I used about 10 slices of cheese.
- Steam your cauliflower. I used frozen cauliflower and steamed in the microwave while I worked on the other steps.
- Put your heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, cauliflower, broth, mustard, paprika, and pepper into a food processor and puree until creamy. Salt to taste.
- Pour sauce over the casserole.
- Top with crushed pork rinds and parsley.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until it starts to get bubbly.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes.